June 1, 2009

Kidney Failure


Along with sharing my life with dogs...I also live with four cats. One of those cats, a 7 year old dilute calico named Misty Bean suffers from Chronic Renal Failure (CRF). Only 25% of her kidneys are functioning. She was diagnosed through a urinalysis two years ago when she was just 5 years old. I noticed one of the cats had been having accidents outside the litter pan which was very out of character for my kitties. I narrowed it down to Misty while observing her closely. Her intake of water increased dramatically and she would then rush off to the litter pan. At the time we only had a litter pan downstairs in the basement which proved to be too far for her. She also had lost quite a bit of weight while not reducing her intake of food.
My vet prescribed Azodyl along with some Chinese herbs and Sub Q fluids once a week. The herbs were difficult to administer as the taste was very repulsive to Misty. We tried shaving her belly and spritzing the herbs on her tummy which I'm told is just as effective. She also didn't like being restrained to have the cold liquid spayed on her bare belly. When she was feeling weak, she was much more compliant to be held down while I stuck her with a big needle and filled her with IV fluids, but once she started feeling better...forget that too! She is such a frisky little thing. She only weighs about 7 lbs, but she's got a lot of fight in her.
The one thing that remains consistent is her Azodyl pill twice a day, every day. I honestly believe that she wouldn't be here with us or her quality of life would not be what it is if not for the Azodyl. Misty happily takes this pill each day and if I sometimes forget, she actually walks into the kitchen and begins to meow while looking up at me as if to say "it's time for my medicine mom". She only does this when I've not yet given her the pill.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dog Training Philosophy