April 11, 2010

Food for Thought

This is how I manage to feed 5 dogs with good appetites a healthy and as close-to-nature diet as possible without spending thousands of dollars a month. I used to feed commercial raw exclusively when we had 3 dogs & business was better. Now with 5 dogs ranging between 70 - 200 lbs, I can't possibly afford to spend $600+ a month on food. So I am cheating by adding a grain-free kibble to the mix and buying chicken in bulk & on sale when I can find it.

First Ingredient:
Second Ingredient:

Nature's Variety offers some "exotic" meats which work well for Tyson who can't eat the usual chicken, turkey or beef. He likes venison, rabbit & buffalo. Boss also can't eat chicken, so he is also eating Nature's Variety.

Everyone else enjoys chicken breasts and/or thighs (boneless & skinless) and some beef liver. Because I can't afford organic meats & poultry right now, I boil the chicken & liver in a pot of water just long enough to cook the outside (about 5-8 minutes).


Then I put it in the food processor and shred / chop everything up in a jiffy.

Third Ingredient:

This is one of the best joint supplements on the market (that I have tried). Boss literally can not walk if he has been off of this powder for more than three days. Aside from joint support it is full of antioxidants & probiotics. Good stuff!

The assembly line:

The happy faces waiting patiently for dinner. Tyson & Boss are already waiting in their respective eating locations.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dog Training Philosophy

My photo

I train dogs using positive reinforcement training to modify unwanted behaviors.  I step outside the traditional training box and use therapeutic-grade essential oils to assist in my behavior modification regime when it comes to dogs plagued with fear and anxiety as well as aggression.  My philosophy is to heal the dog's mind, body and spirit, not just to rid the dog of unacceptable behaviors.  I specialize in shelter dog rehab, reactive rover, and fearful fidos.