April 11, 2010

Food for Thought

This is how I manage to feed 5 dogs with good appetites a healthy and as close-to-nature diet as possible without spending thousands of dollars a month. I used to feed commercial raw exclusively when we had 3 dogs & business was better. Now with 5 dogs ranging between 70 - 200 lbs, I can't possibly afford to spend $600+ a month on food. So I am cheating by adding a grain-free kibble to the mix and buying chicken in bulk & on sale when I can find it.

First Ingredient:
Second Ingredient:

Nature's Variety offers some "exotic" meats which work well for Tyson who can't eat the usual chicken, turkey or beef. He likes venison, rabbit & buffalo. Boss also can't eat chicken, so he is also eating Nature's Variety.

Everyone else enjoys chicken breasts and/or thighs (boneless & skinless) and some beef liver. Because I can't afford organic meats & poultry right now, I boil the chicken & liver in a pot of water just long enough to cook the outside (about 5-8 minutes).


Then I put it in the food processor and shred / chop everything up in a jiffy.

Third Ingredient:

This is one of the best joint supplements on the market (that I have tried). Boss literally can not walk if he has been off of this powder for more than three days. Aside from joint support it is full of antioxidants & probiotics. Good stuff!

The assembly line:

The happy faces waiting patiently for dinner. Tyson & Boss are already waiting in their respective eating locations.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dog Training Philosophy