May 6, 2009

Thunderstorms

Since we are beginning thunderstorm season in the Northeast...I thought I'd mention various techniques I use for Brandan who is afraid of loud noises like thunder and fireworks. He typically knows when it is going to thunder well before the sky turns grey. When I am proactive and listen to the weather report...I apply Lavender topically behind his ears and diffuse Lavender into the air. It works best when I can get the oils out before the storm starts if at all possible. This helps to calm Brandan so much.

I also put 4 drops of Rescue Remedy on a treat or in his water bowl. Bach Flower Essences are a wonderful and extremely safe way to help ease fears and bring emotions back into balance.

Remember that dogs are very intuitive and they sense things well before we do. So pay close attention the weather channel and be prepared a head of time if your dog suffers from these fears.

1 comment:

  1. I also use a flower Essence mixture that was designed for my one dogs issues. Since I started giving it to him he has been more calm and I have noticed a huge difference in his behavior. I get mine from k9behhaviorservices.com and the stuff is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dog Training Philosophy